Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fool Me Once...

Continuation of our big boy bed transition. Read the previous blog for explanation.

Night number three- "The Plan"

After last night's emotional breakdown, we needed a plan.  Now, more than ever, we needed to be consistent, for fear of ending up on "Super Nanny" with seven-year-old Jackson who screams at the top of his lungs at bedtime, unless both of his parents sleep on the floor next to his bed, where they must remain the entire night or he'll beat them up. What? Have you ever seen the show? It happens!

Our plan was to calmly walk Jackson back to bed, like we've been doing, but instead of staying in there and trying to reason with him we would say, "Good night.  I love you." and walk right back out of the room.  Simple. Consistent. Calm.

Jackson has also been contemplating the past few nights, and he too formulated a plan. Both plans went into effect at exactly 8:00. Daddy announced it was time for bed. Jackson walked over to the living room window and announced the sprinklers were on. We picked up toys, brushed teeth, drank water, read one book, sang songs, and climbed in bed. First came the plea for another book. Denied.  "In the morning," I said.  We gave kisses, turned the light off, and walked out of the room.  Let the games begin.  He didn't scream at the top of his lungs, just sort of this whiny, fake cry. Is this progress? He immediately walked out of the room.  Adam walked him back.  "Good night. I love you." Now Jackson was crying for mommy. Adam and I switched off every few times or so.  "Good night. I love you," over and over again. He requested his "Veggie Tales" CD, "Good night. I love you," I said.  Adam said, "That's kind of harsh isn't it? Can't we just switch CD's for him real quick." No. It's a distraction. We have to stay focussed. "Sit down," Jackson pleaded. "Good night. I love you."  He went on to ask to sleep in mommy's bed, for daddy to sleep in his bed, to play a game, for a hug, and to be rocked. All of which, we responded with, "Good night. I love you." Then, the secret weapon. He announced he needed to go potty. Of course. We always let him go when he needs to and praise him for trying. Little stinker! It caught us by surprise and made us think for a minute. Should we let him? But ultimately we still responded with, "Good night. I love you." I had a weak moment when he asked for a drink of water. He had been crying for 45 minutes. I'm sure he really was thirsty. I told him to lie down, and I would get him some water. As I reentered his room, he was lying down, just like I asked. No crying. "Good job, Jackson. Thank you for lying down." He sat up quickly and said cheerfully, "I waked up!!"  "Good night. I love you," I responded.  At exactly 9:30, the crying ceased, and Jackson peacefully drifted off to dream land.

Where is our big breakthrough??  When will we see progress?  Like 30 minutes of crying instead of an hour.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! I'm CRACKING UP! Good times, good times.

My Life as a Davis said...

It hasn't been that long ago. I remember seemingly-endless nights of outwitting our boys into big-boy-bed sleepytime. Hang in there! You really are making progress. Love you guys!