Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The dreaded decision is finally here. I can remember discussing the topic for the first time as my tiny baby grew inside me, before we even knew Jackson was a "Jackson." I remember finding comfort in the fact that no decision was necessary, and we could "agree to disagree" because we had a long time before we needed to make up our minds. Well... it's time, and I, for one, am in disbelief at how quickly four years has passed! We can't prolong the decision much longer. Someone will prevail. Where will Jackson go to preschool? Public or Private? Mommy or Daddy? We've been fortunate enough for him to have the opportunity to attend "employee preschool" with me this year (for 3 and 4 year olds). I have absolutely loved having him with me all day. Jackson loves everything about Oddzidder (Achziger) elementary: his teachers, his friends, playing pirates and puppy super heroes (don't ask) on the playground, library day, tumble books, chocolate milk from the cafeteria on special occasions, classroom jobs, Cowboy bucks, and my personal favorite- getting to see Mommy in hallway. However, next year everything changes. Jackson is of age. He is old enough to attend real preschool, and we both work at schools where this is available. Therein lies the problem. Where will Jackson go? We've each pleaded our case with a list of pro's and con's. Adam's "getting to use the HOV lane" doesn't count, and he crossed out my "convenient parent teacher conferences." The real reason the decision is so difficult is because we both would love to have him close by, and we know both places will provide a good education, good teachers, and many opportunities for him to grow into a great student. FBA has a small town feel, where everyone knows everyone. Adam teaches students who started school together in preschool and are now seniors. He wants that for Jackson. We previewed the elementary school, and I had to admit, I couldn't find anything to complain about (and believe me, I asked a lot of questions). At the same time, Jackson loves where he is now, and I can't imagine not seeing him next year. Adam is impressed with how much Jackson has learned this year, and we couldn't be more pleased with his teachers. As enrollment day nears (for both schools), we are in the process of finalizing our decision. Since sharing custody is not possible, we will be making the first of many difficult decisions regarding our children. I'm thankful to have the guidance of a God who loves his children and a husband who seeks to follow that guidance. Because...I have a feeling... the decisions only get bigger from here.

No comments: