Friday, February 3, 2012

You Sneaky Mom

For Jace's 6 month birthday, we gave him his first taste of real food! I did a lot of research this time around because Jackson is the world's pickiest eater. I don't know if making my own baby food will make Jace less picky, but I think it's a healthier option and maybe a money saver? (I haven't done the math so I'm not sure.) I decided to forgo rice cereal due to its lack of nutritional value and "wasted calories" and begin with avocado instead, which he happily ate! Four days later he loved banana too! I can't help but feel a little guilty that I didn't do it this way with Jackson. Something doesn't seem quite right about scheduling all the different foods I plan to introduce to Jace over the next few months, knowing Jackson will insist on eating chicken nuggets 4 out of 5 meals.

All of this guilt over Jackson's eating habits led to the melt down I experienced with Jackson at Chickfila  today. I was excited to hear Chickfila has implemented a healthier children's menu with their new grilled chicken nuggets. Once upon a time, I used to specifically request grilled chicken nuggets for Jackson, and because Chickfila has the best customer service ever, they always happily agreed to make them for us. I don't even know when or how it happened that Jackson began eating what he refers to as "real" chicken nuggets, but apparently, he doesn't ever remember eating grilled ones. While we were waiting in line I asked Jackson if he wanted apple sauce or fruit today. He said, "Please can I have fries?!" I tried to talk him into fruit but decided to order grilled chicken nuggets with fries since he eats maybe two fries at most, anyway. When we sat down and I pulled out his nuggets, I was trying to find the right words to explain to him that these nuggets may look a little different, but before I could say anything, he instantly slouched down in the booth, crying, "I don't want these chicken nuggets!" Soft, quiet reasoning had no effect on my distraught child with tears rolling down his cheeks now loudly repeating over and over, "Those are not chicken nuggets!" I whispered mean threats in his ear about going home immediately, extra long nap, no family movie night, and anything else I could think of. He sat quietly, but the stern look on his face still said there was no way he was taking a bite of whatever that was. After more coaxing and a lot of ketchup, he took a bite with his eyes closed (a little dramatic, yes?). Turns out they aren't so bad. I was very satisfied that we may have just made a major breakthrough that could lead to much healthier eating habits! He finished eating his nuggets and had a bite of a french fry and then wanted to play. I haven't figured out if I am just that over protective parent or if it's the teacher in me that can't seem to let children play without adult supervision, but either way, I won't let him go play without me watching so I told him he had to wait until I finished my lunch (which I hadn't even started because of all the drama of getting Jackson to eat while holding Jace in my lap). Jackson sat patiently looking at his toy while I opened my box of chicken strips. I immediately knew. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The box lid wasn't even open all the way before Jackson blurted out, "THOSE are the chicken nuggets I wanted, Mom. Like that!" Fail. Major mommy fail.  

No comments: